eXTReMe Tracker

Dan's Kidney

Monday, August 21, 2006

Part 1....complete

I dutifully reported at 6:00 a.m. to Clarkson Access services to have my catheter implanted. Just as I was to be taken to pre-op, my surgeon was called to perform a liver transplant and my proceedure was pushed back to 1:00.

We returned to the apt. and Sandy took Sadie to one of the hike bike trails for a walk. As luck would have it, soon after she left the hospital called....they had moved my surgery to 10:30, so after Sadie's walk we returned to the hospital.

The proceedure was uneventful leaving me with a sore neck, chest and throat. A catheter the size of a wood pencil was placed in my right juglar vein exiting on my left chest in a Y shaped dual connection that will be used to hook me up for plasmapheresis. Tomorrow is my first treatment so we will see if it works.

--Dan

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandy and Dan,
Just read all your "blogs." WOW! You've been through so much the last few days. We're praying for you and thinking of you. The Media Center just isn't the same without you. Stay well and keep your sense of humor.
Christina
HMS

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Have been thinking about you three and how it is going. Kind of lonely on the trail not meeting the "girls". Hang in there. I know you can do this. We are all pulling for you and also sending many prayers your way. Keep your chins up!!

Sandra and Ray

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone needing inspriration can certainly find it in your story. Thanks for letting us share and for your candor. Hope Dan's discomfort lessens and things proceed a little closer to schedule. (unlikely?) At least Sandy and Sadie had a brief walk.
Hang in.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I DO think there is a book in the making from this experience. I agree with Rosemary - you should never have been removed from newspaper publishing, Sandy. The TWO - excuse me, THREE of you (including Sadie) have somethings to say for others experiencing this walk on the edge of eternity! It certainly would have helped my brother-in-law Larry Timmerman who is CELEBRATING his first year anniversary post-kidney transplant. Think about it! :-) mcm

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home