eXTReMe Tracker

Dan's Kidney

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Kwik Lube-Med Center Style

Now I know how my car feels....I have completed my 63 year maintenance with a blood (not Mobil 10w-30w) change. The plasmapheresis went well with 70% of my blood plasma being exchanged over a 2 1/2 hour period. I had expected to go for 4 hours, so that was great. Only two side effects....the treatment made my face tingle like I had knocked back two shots of bourbon and the treatment left me very tired for the rest of the day. To combat the tingling I was given Rolaids to chew on.

The second part of my "Kwik Lube" involved the replacement of immune factors with an iv of human gobulin which took 2 hours. Due to several bureaucratic paperwork foul ups, the whole process ended up taking 7 hours. Hopefully the next treatment will go smoothly and only take 4-5 hours. You all have heard of Murphy's Law.....it should be engraved on a bronze plaque and hung over the entrance to the med center.

Oh well, life goes on......there are actually other events going on in our family:
Yesterday was Dr. Jim's birthday....Dick and Sharon Swett and their family recently hosted a fund raiser in Ord to raise money for a handicapped van for Sharon's nephew Brad Bundy who was paralyzed in a car accident this summer....Sandy's sister Kathy is in her last week of radiation therapy. Yay!! She has managed to work through it all despite being very tired near the end....Chris and Sara plan on celebrating the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina by getting in the car, turning the heater on full blast, and driving around slowly all night (it might be hard to find a traffic jam in Alma.) When they are absolutely exhausted and nearly out of gas they will pull into the post office parking lot and sleep.

We have nothing to do today so we are celebrating by going to the Old Market for lunch.

--Dan

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan and Sandy,

I had not heard of the recent developments in your life, but am thrilled you have a solution of sorts. It sounds like things are progressing, so we'll look forward to future postings. Both of us wish you the best!
Kathy & Les

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear that yesterday went well and you have a day to get your bearings. Where did you eat in the Old Market? My mouth is watering! Linda Helms

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The TRUE historian. You relate what else is happening "On This Date in History" for a reader to develop "perspective"! There are other lives in your bubble of survival who give meaning and purpose to all that happens on planet earth. I thank GOD for the TWO of you, Dan and Sandy! mcm

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home