eXTReMe Tracker

Dan's Kidney

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Things are getting better

Well, after being home for a week, I can report that things are looking up. The key measurement of kidney function is the amount of creatinine in the blood....normal is 1.0 to 1.8 for someone with totally normal kidneys. Mine was 9.0 when I went to the hospital. Dr. Stevens said that he had hope that it would recover to the 4.0 range. Thanks to all of your prayers my latest creatinine was 2.3 yesterday!!! From a damage ratio of 69%, it looks like the kidney is recovering far beyond my wildest dreams.

Why the turnaround? I don't believe for a minute that it was any "magical" medications.....I am better because of the prayers and support from all of you. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I would like to personally thank all of you.....I am afraid though, that if I start naming names I would leave someone off. I will take a chance and name the Class of 60, Dave, Cheryl, Yvonne and Glen, the 25th St. McDonalds Coffee Club and all our wonderful friends and colleagues at Kearney Public Schools. Finally, the biggest thank you goes out to our wonderful family. Dave and Andrea Mahalek, Jim and Bridget Mahalek, and Chris and Sara Mahalek. Sandy's sisters Joan Pursley and Kathy Pleninger have been wonderfull.....thanks to all of you.

The other good news is that I am recovering my strength through physical therapy and weight lifting, and my "elephant legs" are starting to shrink.....not much, but anything is better than it was.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan:
Fantastic, great news! Good to see that your typing is comming back. Keep up the good work, we're pulling all the way for you Dude. Think about you a lot and praying for the healing to continue.
Check you later,
Jamie

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan--------This is such great news. Looks like you are taking it one day at a time and getting better minute by minute. Keep hanging in there. Will continue to pray for you. Don and I think about you and discuss your situation daily. Cheers to Sandy for being the trooper we know she is...:)

Don and Lora Rae

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan,
Great news...our best to you and Sandy.
jim

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home