eXTReMe Tracker

Dan's Kidney

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Realizing What is Important

Yesterday was an unusual experience in the plasmapheresis treatment center. As I sat looking about the room at my fellow patients, I found myself becoming unusually introspective.

I am the only kidney transplant patient at present; the others are undergoing some type of cancer treatment. There was a very ill lady in her 70’s who had undergone chemotherapy and now was receiving stem cells, a girl in her 20’s who was donating stem cells to her brother who had leukemia, a rancher from Western Nebraska collecting his own stem cells for a marrow transplant, and a middle age man who was soon to undergo chemo.

All of the patients were accompanied by their wives, husbands, and in the case of the young lady, her boyfriend. Watching the loving concern shown by them was very reaffirming to my faith in humanity. To see the old man covering his wife’s head with a stocking cap, the young man feeding his girl friend, and the other lady bringing cookies from the cafeteria for everyone filled me with a sense of well being.

I snapped out of my reverie and glanced up and saw my wonderful wife Sandy sitting beside me…she looked up from her book and asked if there was anything she could do for me. At that moment, I realized that the tragedy of illness was not in being sick; the true tragedy would be in having no one who cared and loved you.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad

Great talking to you today. I'm pleased to hear the blood therapy is working. Here's hoping you have "good days."

Dave

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here I thought Sandy was the writer, and then I read Dan's. You are both fabulous. I am teaching voice today, and Dan you are full of it. Voice, I mean! I can hardly wait to get to word choice tomorrow. Why do I even look for other people's examples?
Rosemary

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing to us how the two of you keep a sense of humor and positive attitude in spite of all that you are going through. As we read your journals, it is as though we are in the room with the two of you having a soda and a face-to-face conversation. And you must know that it doesn’t surprise us one iota that you know and understand all the technical terminology including the names of all the “machines” and what each procedure involves. People have written on the blog that you may wish to write a book on this at some point, and we say while you are at it, why not write a technical manual for med students??? J BTW, your blog is included in our “favorites,” right next to HuskerPedia!
Jim & Sue
P.S. We are glad that you have Sadie with you as we know what a comfort she can be.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Bridget said...

Okay you made me cry. We really miss you both. Can't wait to see everyone next week.
Bridget

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, have shared some of your thoughts with family and friends. This message helped me to say "thank you" to an aunt who has helped me through some rough times. She is a retired nurse, uses the internet daily, and you guys would find her a hoot. We were on the phone last weekend and she had to pause to just look out at the rain; a welcome sight in her part of TX just now. She's introspective, as well.
Thanks.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi you two..well, what can we say that hasn't been said already?..we think of you both each and every day and pray for a swift and speedy recovery..enjoy reading about your medical adventures (and mis-adventures!) but also know that you are in good hands..

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,
First of all, you don't look sick!.........you already look like you're on the road to recovery and it sounds as if that is true. So glad to know that you are looking around you and seeing the positive actions of people there. People are amazing, aren't they?......and simple gestures really tell the story of how much people can care for each other.

We're sure that fine dog of yours is the best medicine.
We'll keep in touch........Get Well Soon! Bunny and Mel

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You've brought tears to my eyes. Such a realization has a tremendous impact - not only on you, but thank you for sharing it with us. Still missing Sandy in the Media Center - your sub is a wonderful lady and is currently working on a word wall with words in French and Spanish - what a fabulous idea! Prayers and thoughts are with you.
Christina Mendez

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I am crying! It truly IS amazing what we see when we look around us. What courage you THREE have! (Imagine the first time a human tried the elevator!!!!! Way to go Sadie!)
Hang in there.......
Strong thoughts and prayers,
Carol

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good God, I'm number four with tears in her eyes and happily letting the flood release the gratitude in my heart and soul for ALL the people who ARE PRESENT for me in my needs, Dan!
You are familiar with Nicholas Sparks! Makes me think of his The Notebook. His writings always peel the protective layers from the soul! mcm

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home